Dr. Celina Barba-Simic Biology Scholarship in Honor of Dr. Steven Oppenheimer
Spring 2023: 2022-2023 Academic Year Award
The Dr. Celina Barba-Simic Biology Scholarship in Honor of Dr. Steven Oppenheimer was created to support an undergraduate student with demonstrated financial need who is conducting laboratory research in the Department of Biology. Applicants should be high-achieving undergraduate students with financial need. Must also be performing laboratory research in the Department of Biology. Preference will be given to students who come from disadvantaged economic and/or educational backgrounds and first-generation students who have been involved with or played leadership roles in campus activities and/or service to the community.
Dr. Celina Barba-Simic, M.D., is Co-Medical Director of Burbank Emergency Medical Group at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California. She and her husband Dr. John Simic, who is also an Emergency Medicine physician at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, have four children. Dr. Barba-Simic graduated from CSUN in 1992 with a Bachelor of Arts in Cellular and Molecular Biology. As the eldest of four children, she was the first in her family to attend college, paying for it herself while living at home to help care for her siblings. While at CSUN, she received a MARC (Minority Access to Energy-Related Careers) Fellowship allowing her to work in Dr. Steven Oppenheimer’s lab and at the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory. She was an active member of Minority Achievers in Science and Chicanos in Community Medicine, served as a senator in the Associated Student Body, and was a representative to the Student Health Advisory Committee. Dr. Barba-Simic received multiple scholarships while at CSUN as well as the Graduating Student of the Year Award and the Minority Achievers in Science Student of the Year Award. She has generously created this scholarship in gratitude for the impact that CSUN had on her and in honor of Dr. Steven Oppenheimer and his extensive contributions to mentoring students in laboratory research.
- Must be an undergraduate student
- Must be enrolled in 6 units or more for the Spring 2023 term.
- Must be a Biology major.
- Must be performing laboratory research in the Department of Biology.
- Must have a current FAFSA or California Dream Act application on file.
- Must provide a personal statement, emphasizing your research participation in Biology at CSUN, as well as any information you deem relevant regarding your background and leadership in campus activities and/or community service.
- (2) Letters of recommendation must be submitted on my behalf via the myMatador Scholarships portal.
One letter of reference must be submitted by applicants research advisor in Biology; and a second letter of support must be submitted from a CSUN faculty or staff member.
- Upload: A copy of your CSUN unofficial transcript.
If selected as the recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s). Both to be coordinated by the College’s Director of Development.
Should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity contact Dr. Cristian Ruiz Rueda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award(s) may be adjusted if you receive a scholarship amount that exceeds your financial aid total limit. Speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
- Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award."
- Supplemental Questions
- I am a Biology major via the College of Science and Math.
- I am currently performing laboratory research in the Department of Biology
- I am a high-achieving undergraduate students with financial need.
- I am enrolled in 6 units or more for the current Spring term.
- Essay: Please write a personal statement, emphasizing your research participation in Biology at CSUN. Please include any information you deem relevant regarding your background and your leadership in on campus activities and/or community service.
- If selected as the recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and will be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s).
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from a CSUN faculty or staff member- who can attest to your meritorious performance and personal strengths and can assess your potential for academic and career success. The letter should include a signature, title, and contact information. The letter should be addressed to: *Award Selection Committee*.
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from your Biology research advisor.
- Please upload: A copy of your Unofficial CSUN transcript
- Show 4 more