Georgia L. Bianchi Heald Outstanding Junior Award
(Fall 2020 Award) The Georgia L. Bianchi Heald Outstanding Junior Award was created to support a student with junior standing who has completed 60–89 units and demonstrates financial need.
The award is named for Donald E. Bianchi, the founding Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics. It honors his commitment to scholarship and research and their relationship to education.
Dr. Bianchi joined the CSUN faculty in 1959 when CSUN was known as the San Fernando Valley State College. He became Dean in 1973, a position he held for 28 years, two of which while he was also serving as Vice President for Academic Affairs. As College Dean, he was instrumental in the creation of the four-building science complex and Planetarium, subsequently named in his honor, laying the groundwork for the College’s outstanding achievements in research and teaching. His own professional accomplishments included the publication of numerous articles and books in cell biology, microbiology and botany. He had long served on the governing boards of two CSU Consortiums—Ocean Studies and Desert Studies—and had chaired both. A model of dedication and service to the University and its students.
*Scholarship opportunity is open to Juniors from any department in the College of Science and Math.
- Must have completed 60-89 units
- Must be an enrolled CSUN undergraduate student for the Spring 2020 term and must be a continuing student for the Fall 2020 term in order to receive the award.
- Must be enrolled in 6 units or more for the Fall 2020 term.
- Must be in Junior standing within any department in the College of Science & Math to apply.
- Must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 3.5 (both CSUN and overall GPA)
- Must show significant academic accomplishments which include: research, honors and awards received, etc.
- Must have a current FAFSA or California Dream Act Application on file.
- Must upload a copy of unofficial CSUN transcripts.
- Must request 1 letter of recommendation from CSUN faculty member, highlighting applicant’s academic accomplishments, any research, honors, awards received, and financial
Note: If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
*If selected as the scholarship recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s).
*Please contact Sonia Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity.