CSU Jim Sanders Media and Leadership Scholarship
James Sanders wasn’t known by that name. He wasn’t often called Jim. People working at the television stations in Sacramento, CA; Columbus, OH; San Diego, CA; and San Francisco, CA where he presided as news director knew him as Sanders. He was a leader, not just a manager. As one former employee said about Sanders after his death in September 2015, “Sanders was all about integrity. From the choice and quality of the stories he put on the air to his mentoring of countless people in all areas of news, he operated from a base of encouragement, never negativity. From a heart full of courage instead of fear. Sanders didn’t force you to do your best, he made you want to do your best. And he led by example, holding himself up to the highest standard and trusting that his people would rise to their highest potential. I am not unique in my love and admiration for this funny, charismatic, intelligent man; there are many of us who would have followed Jim Sanders anywhere.” This scholarship is to honor and support the leaders of today and tomorrow among the California State University student population. The media industries are changing and as the continued gatekeepers of information, the industries need people to lead, take risks, be creative, have a sense of humor, be intelligent, and challenge the status quo.
- Must have an interest in journalism, media, or communication.
- Must aspire to a career in media, but can be interested in any aspect of the industry including engineering, sales, production (audio, video and sound editing, etc.), graphic design, human resources, etc.
- Must be currently enrolled or be entering a first semester as a California State University Northridge student and must maintain student status during the scholarship period.
- Must express current leadership qualities or the desire to be a leader in journalism, media, or communication.
- Must currently have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale and must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.8 during the academic year in which the award is received.
- Request one letter of recommendation from an academic instructor via the my Matador Scholarship Portal
- Request one letter of recommendation from a community member (teacher/professor, counselor, or community leader, staff member, student leader) who can attest to the candidate’s meritorious performance and personal strengths and assess the nominee’s potential for success via the my Matador Scholarships Portal
- Undergraduate students must enroll in 6 units or more during the Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 terms.
- Graduate students must enroll in 4 units or more during the Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 terms.
- Upload a CSU Systemwide Scholarship Applicant Information Form via the my Matador Scholarships portal.
- Must submit a Personal Statement.
- Must submit a Student Resume.
The CSU Systemwide Scholarship Applicant Information Form can be found via the following link: https://www.csun.edu/financialaid/csu-foundation. Complete the fillable PDF, save your information, and upload a copy of your completed form to this application.
For more information on this and other CSU Systemwide scholarships, please visit https://www.csun.edu/financialaid/csu-foundation