Newhall Land and Farming Southern California Scholarship In Support of Terrestrial Ecology
Spring 2023 2022-2023 Academic Year Award
The Newhall Land and Farming Southern California Scholarship In Support of Terrestrial Ecology is intended to support graduate students whose research focuses on the ecology of terrestrial organisms, populations, or communities from southern California. Here ‘ecology’ is broadly defined to recognize the multidisciplinary nature of the field. As such, integrative projects that incorporate perspectives from other fields are encouraged (e.g., conservation biology, evolutionary ecology, paleoecology, physiological ecology, etc.), but the ecological component must be clearly evident. Funds may be used to support fieldwork (travel to field sites), visits to museums, small equipment purchases, and expendable materials. Funds may not be used as a stipend, to pay salaries, for tuition, books, travel to meetings/symposia, or other non-research essential items.
Newhall Land and Farming Company is a land management company based in Valencia, California, responsible for the master community planning of Valencia and Newhall Ranch as well as the management of farmland elsewhere in the state. The story of Newhall Land goes back to 1875 when pioneer Henry Mayo Newhall purchased Rancho San Francisco – a Spanish land grant comprising 48,000-acres of rich natural beauty. The Company was founded in 1883 by the heirs of Henry Mayo Newhall; it became a publicly traded company in 1968. In 2004, the Newhall Land and Farming Company made a $25,000 contribution to CSUN to establish an endowment to fund research on the ecology of southern California.
- Must be graduate students to apply.
- Must be enrolled in 4 units or more for the current Spring term.
- Must be a Biology major in the College of Science and Math.
- Upload required proposal.
- Must request a letter of recommendation from your advisor addressing the importance and feasibility of the project and explaining your qualifications including: (education, experience, special training, etc.). The letter should also indicate that space, facilities, equipment, and permissions (state permits, IACUC approval, etc.) are in place to do the research.
- If selected to receive this award recipients must submit a two-page summary of their findings upon completion of the project. The Newhall Land and Farming Company Southern California Scholarship In Support of Terrestrial Ecology should be acknowledged in theses and publications stemming from this support. I also agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s). Both will be coordinated by the College’s Director of Development.
Should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity contact Dr. Cristian Ruiz Rueda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award(s) may be adjusted if you receive a scholarship amount that exceeds your financial aid total limit. Speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
- Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
- Supplemental Questions
- I am a graduate student.
- I am enrolled in 4 units or more for the current Spring term.
- Please upload: A proposal that includes Background, (b) Objectives/Hypotheses, (c) Methods, (d) Anticipated Results, (e) Significance, (f) Literature Cited, and (g) Budget and Justification. Proposals must not exceed five double-spaced pages of text not including literature cited and budget and justification). The budget and justification should not exceed two pages. The justification should indicate how each budgetary item would be used in the investigation.
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from your advisor addressing the importance and feasibility of your proposed project.This letter should discuss your qualifications including: (education, experience, special training, etc.). This letter should also indicate that space, facilities, equipment, and permissions (state permits, IACUC approval, etc.) are in place tin order for you to do the proposed research.
- If selected to receive this award, I understand I am required to must submit a two-page summary of my findings upon completion of my project. I also agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) of this scholarship and must be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s). *Both to be coordinated by the College's Director of Development.