Donald E. Bianchi Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award (College of Science and Math)
2022-2023 Academic Year Award: Fall 2022 graduates are welcome to apply.
The Donald E. Bianchi Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award was created to support an undergraduate student who demonstrates a particular interest in and dedication to science, academic excellence and has financial need.
The award is named for Donald E. Bianchi, the founding Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics. It honors his commitment to scholarship and research and their relationship to education. Dr. Bianchi joined the CSUN faculty in 1959 when CSUN was known as the San Fernando Valley State College. He became Dean in 1973, a position he held for 28 years, two of which while he was also serving as Vice President for Academic Affairs. As College Dean, he was instrumental in the creation of the four-building science complex and Planetarium, subsequently named in his honor, laying the groundwork for the College’s outstanding achievements in research and teaching. His own professional accomplishments included the publication of numerous articles and books in cell biology, microbiology and botany. He had long served on the governing boards of two CSU Consortiums—Ocean Studies and Desert Studies—and had chaired both. A model of dedication and service to the University and its students.
- Applicants from any department in the College of Science and Math are eligible to apply.
- Must be an undergraduate student enrolled at CSUN for any part of the 2022-2023 academic year.
- If recently graduated you must have enrolled in 6 units or more during the Fall 2022 term.
- Continuing students must enroll in 6 units or more for the Spring 2023 term.
- Must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 3.2
- Must show significant academic accomplishments as well as demonstrated financial need.
- Must have a current FAFSA or California Dream Act Application on file.
- Must upload a copy of unofficial CSUN transcripts.
- Must request 1 letter of recommendation from CSUN faculty member, highlighting applicant’s academic accomplishments. .
- Opportunity is open to students from any department in the College of Science and Mathematics*
If selected as the scholarship recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s).
Should you have questions regarding the scholarship opportunity, please contact Sonia Martinez at email@example.com
- If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
- Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
- Supplemental Questions
- I am an undergraduate student who demonstrates a particular interest in and dedication to science, show academic excellence and have financial need.
- I am a student who shows significant academic accomplishments.
- I have completed and submitted a FAFSA or California Dream Act application for the current academic year.
- Please upload: A copy of your unofficial CSUN transcripts
- If selected as the recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and will be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s).
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from a CSUN faculty member- who can attest to your meritorious performance and personal strengths and can assess your potential for academic and career success. The letter should include a signature, title, and contact information. The letter should be addressed to: *Award Selection Committee*.
- Show 1 more