Mack I. Johnson Research Award for Outstanding Graduate Student in the College of Science and Mathematics
(2020-2021 Academic Year Award) Fall 2020 graduates are welcome to apply. The purpose of the Award is to support an outstanding graduate student who has demonstrated extraordinary research abilities and has been accepted into a doctoral program.
The Mack I. Johnson Research Award for Outstanding Graduate Student was established in 2012 by Gail Johnson to honor the memory of her husband, Dr. Mack I. Johnson, Associate Vice President of Graduate Studies, Research, and International programs and Professor of Biology. Dr. Johnson worked at California State University, Northridge for 25 years and was an ardent supporter of research excellence and friend of the College of Science and Mathematics. He was best known for his compassion for students and his many accomplishments in academic administration. He was also one of the most beloved mentors and administrators on campus and dearly respected for his integrity and fairness.
- Must be a graduate student enrolled at CSUN for any part of the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Must be a graduate student of high academic standing who is involved in active research endeavors
- Must be completing or recently completed a Master’s degree in the College of Science and Mathematics, including: Biology, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Geology, Mathematics, or Physics
- Must have been accepted into an accredited Ph.D. program in the sciences. (Application must include: Proof of acceptance into an accredited Ph.D. program)
- Must submit a Personal Statement that discuss your research experiences as well as your academic goals.
- Must upload a copy of unofficial CSUN transcripts.
- Must upload a copy of current curriculum vitae/educational resume.
- Must request 2 letters of recommendation from CSUN faculty. (1 letter must be from the student’s thesis advisor).
Opportunity is open to students from any department in the College of Science and Mathematics
Note: If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
*Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
*Please contact Sonia Martinez at email@example.com should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity.