MSP Guravitz-Shaw Scholarship Endowment
About the Donor:
Frederick Shaw is an alumnus of the University having earned a baccalaureate degree in History in 1971. Before coming to the University, Fred served in the United States Navy as Yeoman Third Class from 1964-1967. Following graduation, Mr. Shaw worked for the United States Postal Service as a mail carrier for thirty-six years. Following his retirement, he has remained active in his community including service as mayor and city council member for the City of Carpinteria since 2012. Fred Shaw and Lisa Guravitz were married on August 11th, 1979. Lisa is retired from a career as a pediatric nurse practitioner having worked in Oxnard. She is a member of the Carpinteria-Summerland Fire Board, and she also serves on the board of directors of the Santa Barbara Women’s Political Committee. Lisa and Fred have two grandchildren from their son, Anthony, and his wife, Jaime.
- Must be a child of members of the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC), whether active, retired, or deceased.
- Priority will be given to applicants whose parent is or was (if deceased) an NALC member from the Tri-Valley Branch 2902.
- Must submit verification of union membership (parent, whether parent is active, retired, or deceased).
- Undergraduate students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units during each award term – Fall & Spring terms of the upcoming academic year.
- Graduate students must enroll in a minimum of 6 units during each award term – Fall & Spring terms of the upcoming academic year.
- Must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 2.50.
- Award is intended for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Students may apply and be awarded more than once.