Lorenzo Edwards - TwInspire Scholarship
(Current Year Opportunity) The Lorenzo Edwards – TwInspire Scholarship will award one annual scholarship to an undergraduate student who has experienced foster care, is currently in foster care, or is a former foster youth.
Lorenzo Edwards was born in 1925 and raised in Warren, Arkansas. He was one of ten children and held a talent for building things. As a cement finisher, he traveled the United States in search of opportunities. His work on parks and federal government buildings is still present to this day. His most notable passion was being a foster parent for more than 50 years. He helped rear nearly a dozen children who lacked family support and supported even more in his neighborhood. In his final years, while living in Compton, he mentored and fathered both Tae and Tray as well as two of their siblings. His everlasting impact on their lives has created in them the need to build community and lead by serving first. Lorenzo died in 2014 and will always be remembered for his sacrificial love and passion for his community.
About the Donor:
Demontea (Tae) Thompson and Demonte (Tray) Thompson are emancipated foster youth twins from Compton, California. Tae and Tray come from a family of 10 siblings and they have dedicated their lives to improving services for foster and adopted youth. Their passion project, TwInspire, aims to educate young adults to become financially literate, college ready, and work bound. They advocate for social change and collaborate with several non-profits in their community. Tray currently works in finance and Tae works in higher education. Their hope is to see more young adults with challenging upbringings set and accomplish their academic, professional, and social goals. Please visit Twinspire.org for more information.
- Must have experienced foster care, is currently in foster care or is a former foster youth.
- Must request one letter of recommendation via the my Matador Scholarships portal.
- Undergraduate students must enroll in 12 units or more for the Fall 2019 & Spring 2020 terms.
- Undergraduate students must have a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to a 2.8.
- Undergraduate students must have 36 units or more completed at CSUN.
- Graduate students must enroll in 6 or more units for the Fall 2019 & Spring 2020 terms.
- Graduate students must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 3.0.
- Must have active membership in at least one Associated Students club or organization.
- Must demonstrate exceptional leadership and community service.
- Must have current FAFSA or California Dream Act application on file.
- Must submit a student resume.