Bennett-Bickford Biology Scholarship
Spring 2023: 2022-2023 Academic Year Award
The Bennett-Bickford Biology Scholarship was created to encourage undergraduate Biology students who are sophomore level and beyond who have attained academic excellence to enter the teaching profession.
This scholarship was established by the late Margaret Bennett in honor of her two husbands, Leonard Bickford and Leland Bennett. She was married first to Leonard Bickford who had a long and successful career as an employee of Sears, Roebuck and Company. Her second husband, Leland Bennett, was a civil engineer who worked on the Casitas Dam located in Ventura County, California.
Preference will be given to students who come from disadvantaged economic and/or educational backgrounds.
- Open to Undergraduate students who are sophomores, juniors or seniors who are pursuing a career as a biology teacher.
- Must be a Biology major via the College of Science and Math.
- Must be enrolled in 6 units for the current Spring term.
- Must have a CSUN GPA greater than or equal to a 3.0.
- Must submit a personal essay describing how and why student intends to pursue a career as a biology teacher (1 brief paragraph); as well as a statement explaining and describing background/minority status.
- Must request 2 letters of recommendation via the myMatador Scholarship portal.
At least one of the two letters must be from a CSUN faculty/staff member.
- Upload: A copy of your unofficial CSUN transcript
- If selected as a scholarship recipient, student agrees to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and must be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s). Both to be coordinated by the College’s Director of Development.
Should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity contact Dr. Cristian Ruiz Rueda at email@example.com.
- If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award(s) may be adjusted if you receive a scholarship amount that exceeds your financial aid total limit. Speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
- Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
- Supplemental Questions
- I am an undergraduate student who is pursuing a career as a biology teacher.
- I am a Biology major via the College of Science and Math.
- I am enrolled in 6 units or more for the current Spring term.
- Essay: Please tell us how and why you intend to pursue a career as a biology teacher; as well as a statement discussing your background/minority status.
- If selected as the recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and will be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s).
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from a CSUN faculty or staff member- who can attest to your meritorious performance and personal strengths and can assess your potential for academic and career success. The letter should include a signature, title, and contact information. The letter should be addressed to: *Award Selection Committee*.
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from a community member (teacher/professor, counselor, or community leader, staff member, student leader) who can attest to the candidate's meritorious performance and personal strengths and assess the nominee’s potential for success.
- Please upload: A copy of your unofficial CSUN transcripts
- Show 3 more