CSU Jim Sanders Media and Leadership Scholarship
2023-2024 Academic Year Award
James Sanders was not known by that name. He was not often called Jim. People working at the television stations in Sacramento, CA; Columbus, OH; San Diego, CA; and San Francisco, CA where he presided as news director knew him as Sanders. He was a leader, not just a manager. As one former employee said about Sanders after his death in September 2015, “Sanders was all about integrity. From the choice and quality of the stories he put on the air to his mentoring of countless people in all areas of news, he operated from a base of encouragement, never negativity. From a heart full of courage instead of fear. Sanders didn’t force you to do your best, he made you want to do your best. And he led by example, holding himself up to the highest standard and trusting that his people would rise to their highest potential. I am not unique in my love and admiration for this funny, charismatic, intelligent man; there are many of us who would have followed Jim Sanders anywhere.” This scholarship is to honor and support the leaders of today and tomorrow among the California State University student population. The media industries are changing and as the continued gatekeepers of information, the industries need people to lead, take risks, be creative, have a sense of humor, be intelligent, and challenge the status quo.
- Open to CSUN undergraduate and graduate students with an interest in journalism, news media, or communication.
- Must aspire to a career in media, but can be interested in any aspect of the industry including engineering, sales, production (audio, video and sound editing, etc.), graphic design, human resources, etc.
- Must be currently enrolled or be entering your first year at CSUN
- Must remain enrolled in at least 1 unit during the Fall 2023 & Spring 2024 terms.
Any change to your eligibility status in any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
- Express current leadership qualities or the desire to be a leader in journalism, news media, or communication.
- Two letters of recommendation must be requested through the my Matador Scholarship system. One must be from an instructor who has taught you.
- Complete the Personal Statement essay question explaining why the student wants to pursue a career in journalism, news media, or communication and how they perceive themselves as a leader.
For more information on this and other CSU Systemwide scholarships, please visit https://www.csun.edu/financialaid/csu-foundation
Please note:. If you are receiving Financial Aid (including loans), your financial aid award(s) may be adjusted if you receive a scholarship amount that exceeds your financial aid total limit. Speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
- CSU Systemwide Scholarships
- Supplemental Questions
- I will be a first time CSUN student for the upcoming academic year.
- I am a continuing CSUN student.
- I have an interest in journalism, news media, or communication and I will pursue a career in media or any aspect of the industry including engineering, sales, production (audio, video and sound editing, etc.), graphic design, human resources, etc.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from a community member (teacher/professor, counselor, or community leader, staff member, student leader) who can attest to the candidate's meritorious performance and personal strengths and assess the nominee’s potential for success.
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from an academic instructor, who can attest to your meritorious performance, personal strengths and can assess your potential for success.
- Please upload: A copy of your student resume/CV. A student resume is a detailed record of your personal and educational information. It includes the name of your school/college, coursework, projects (if any) undertaken, and awards. The resume may also contain additional information like your extracurricular activities, volunteer experiences, job experiences (if any), hobbies, etc.
- Explain why you want to pursue a career in journalism, news media, or communication and how you perceive yourself as a leader (career interest can be in any aspect of the industry including engineering, sales, production (audio, video and sound editing, etc.), graphic design, human resources, etc.).
- If selected as an award recipient I agree to complete and submit a thank you letter for the scholarship donor.
- Show 2 more