Judge Julian Beck Outstanding Graduating Senior Biology Department Award in Ecology and Evolution
Spring 2023: 2022-2023 Academic Year Award
The Judge Julian Beck Outstanding Graduating Senior Biology Department Award in Ecology and Evolution was created to support a graduating senior who demonstrates exemplary academic performance in ecology and evolution biology. This scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior who either graduated at the end of the Fall 2022 term or will be graduating at the end of the current Spring 2023 term. The tentative scholarship recipient shall state in writing that their credits will enable them to graduate at such times. Demonstrated academic excellence and research participation based on outstanding achievements as determined by the Scholarship Selection Committee.
Julian Beck was a teacher, politician and judge. He was instrumental in the establishment of San Fernando Valley State College, now known as California State University, Northridge (CSUN). Julian felt strongly about giving to those who struggle to afford a higher education. As a result, he established 10 endowments at CSUN to fund scholarships for students, including two in the College of Science and Mathematics. Julian was so passionate about books and learning that he audited classes at CSUN until he was well into his eighties.
- Must be an undergraduate Biology major in the area of areas of ecology and evolution
- Must be an undergraduate graduating senior (Fall 2022 or Spring 2023).
- Must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 3.0.
- Must be enrolled in 6 units or more for the current Spring term.
- Must demonstrate research participation (Must be in areas of ecology and evolution).
- Must request (2) letters of recommendation via the _my_Matador Scholarships portal.
One letter of recommendation must be from your faculty member in the Biology Department.
A second letter of recommendation must be from a CSUN faculty or staff member.
- Must upload a statement document providing evidence of your graduation date and term.
If selected as the recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s). Both will be coordinated by the College’s Director of Development.
Should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity contact Dr. Cristian Ruiz Rueda at email@example.com.
- If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award(s) may be adjusted if you receive a scholarship amount that exceeds your financial aid total limit. Speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
- Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
- Supplemental Questions
- I am an undergraduate Biology major in the areas of ecology and evolution.
- I am an undergraduate graduating senior who either graduated at the end of the Fall 2022 term or will be graduating at the end of the Spring 2023 term.
- I was enrolled in 6 units or more for the Fall 2022 term or an currently enrolled in 6 units or more for the Spring 2023 term.
- Please tell us about your research participation in the areas of ecology and evolution.
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from a Biology Department faculty member.
- Please request: A letter of recommendation from a CSUN faculty or staff member- who can attest to your meritorious performance and personal strengths and can assess your potential for academic and career success. The letter should include a signature, title, and contact information. The letter should be addressed to: *Award Selection Committee*.
- Please upload: A statement document providing evidence of your graduation date and term.
- Show 2 more