Donald E. Bianchi Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award (Biology Department)
(Current Academic Year Award) Spring 2022: The Donald E. Bianchi Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award was created to support a Biology graduate student who has achieved excellence in academic performance and has an aptitude for teaching biology.
The award is named for Donald E. Bianchi, the founding Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics. It honors his commitment to scholarship and research and their relationship to education.
Dr. Bianchi joined the CSUN faculty in 1959 when CSUN was known as the San Fernando Valley State College. He became Dean in 1973, a position he held for 28 years, two of which while he was also serving as Vice President for Academic Affairs. As College Dean, he was instrumental in the creation of the four-building science complex and Planetarium, subsequently named in his honor, laying the ground work for the College’s outstanding achievements in research and teaching. His own professional accomplishments include the publication of numerous articles and books in cell biology, microbiology and botany. He had long served on the governing boards of two CSU Consortiums – Ocean Studies and Desert Studies – and had chaired both. A model of dedication and service to the University and its students.
*Candidates will be considered based on their involvement and achievement in research, which may include: activities in research that lead to results/data for publication; activities in research that lead to presentation of their research at regional, national and/or international meetings.
- Must be graduate students with exceptional academic performance and an interest in pursuing a career as a biology teacher.
- Must enroll in 4 units or more for the current Spring term.
- Must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 3.5.
- Must have a FAFSA or California Dream Act application on file for the current academic year.
- Must be involved in activities in research that lead to results/data for publication; activities in research that lead to presentation of research at regional, national and/or international
- Must request (2) letters of recommendation via the my Matador Scholarships portal
- letters of recommendation: Should be from a CSUN faculty members who can highlight your academic accomplishments, particularly as they relate to teaching biology..
- Upload a copy of your most recent Unofficial CSUN transcripts.
- Upload: A student resume/CV
Students will be considered based on their involvement and success in teaching activities.
*If selected as the recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s). Both will be coordinated by the College’s Director of Development.
Please note: If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed explanation about your individual situation.
*Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
Should you have questions regarding the scholarship opportunity, please contact Cherie Hawthorne firstname.lastname@example.org