MSP Omar Velasco Dreamers Scholarship
Funds will be awarded for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.
This scholarship is reserved for first-time freshman undergraduate students entering their first semester. With an incomparable talent and charismatic personality, Omar Velasco has been Los Angeles’ leading morning voice for over 10 years. Together with Argelia Artilano, he has co-hosted KLOVE’s morning show and now hosts Mega 96.3 Los Angeles for Mornings show. The power couple entertains listeners with hot topics and the best musical hits.
Omar is a native of Jalisco, Mexico, moving to Los Angeles in 1988 to realize a communications career. He initially began to pursue a degree in Computer Science, but life had a bigger plan for him. He studied broadcasting at California State University, Northridge. However his effortless involvement and relentless dedication took him to his career faster than he planned. While in school, in 1994 he got his radio break reporting news and traffic. With patience and dedication he soon reached his first DJ opportunity with Univision Radio in 1999. He began to develop skills with voice-overs, programming and scheduling. By 2001 he was doing drive timer for VIVA 107.1 FM. His energy and connection with listeners took him to the top. In 2003 he returned to Univision Radio, and took over one of the hottest time slots, the morning show.
Omar makes it his goal to prepare his listeners for their everyday lives, “No matter where they are heading to, I want them to get there feeling better.”
The scholarship is open to incoming first-time freshman students and will provide two $2,500 annual scholarship awards for entering freshman who have graduated from San Fernando High School who are AB 540 eligible.
Students with an intended course of study in either Journalism, Cinema and Television Arts, or Communication Studies will be given preference but all majors are welcome to apply*.
*Please note: Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than full time enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award. *
- Open to CSUN first-time freshman students entering for the Fall 2022 term.
- Must have graduated from San Fernando High School.
- Must be AB 540 eligible and have a California Dream Act application for the upcoming academic year.
- Undergraduate students must have a GPA of at least a 3.0.
- Undergraduate students must enroll in 12 units or more during the Fall & Spring terms of the award year.
- One letter of recommendation must be requested through the my Matador Scholarship system.
- Must upload a copy of your student resume. A student resume is a detailed record of your personal and educational information. It includes the name of your school/college, coursework, projects (if any) undertaken, and awards. The resume may also contain additional information like your extracurricular activities, volunteer experiences, job experiences (if any), hobbies, etc.