Sherman Oaks Garden Club Scholarship
(Spring 2021 Award) The Sherman Oaks Garden Club Scholarship was created to support one undergraduate or graduate student who is studying in the areas of plant biology, environmental science, ecology, and/or evolutionary biology, etc., and has demonstrated financial need.
This scholarship is funded by and named for the Sherman Oaks Garden Club, which offers a wide range of educational programs and speakers on the latest gardening techniques, floral design, conservation, environmental issues and the study of birds, butterflies and beneficial insects. The group meets regularly at the Sepulveda Garden Center in Encino, where they discuss issues such as furthering the public’s interest in gardening, encouraging and creating projects that conserve and protect the environment, and increasing community involvement through scholarships and support of gardens.
Opportunity is open to graduate and undergraduate students that:
- Are currently registered CSUN students in good academic standing.
- Majoring in Plant Biology/Ecology & Evolution/Environmental Science/with interests aligned with the donor organization.
- Undergraduate applicants must be enrolled in 12 units or more for each term of the Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 academic year.
- Graduate applicants must be enrolled in 6 units or more for each term of the Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 academic year.
- Cumulative GPA must be greater than or equal to a 3.0.
- Have a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) on file for the current academic year.
- Complete a personal statement essay.
- (2) letters of recommendation must be requested via the myMatador Scholarships portal.
- Must upload a copy of unofficial transcripts.
Note: If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
*Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than required enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
*If selected as a scholarship recipient, student agrees to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and must be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s). Both to be coordinated by the College’s Director of Development.
Please contact Dr. Yoshie Hanzawa at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity.