CSUN Distinguished Lifelong Learner Award
California State University Northridge (CSUN) has a growing number of students who earn degrees at a later phase in their life – midcareer/midlife students. While these students may have taken a distinctive educational and/or life path to earn a CSUN degree, they often are understanding students who graduate with a very high level of academic achievement. In addition, these distinguished graduates are models of CSUN’s commitment to life-long learning and to providing significant educational opportunities across the career span. These educational opportunities allow students to shape their lives and careers in new ways in response to their educational goals. Programs for these students also meet the needs of the Greater Los Angeles economy for well-prepared professionals in a changing array of fields and disciplines.
CSUN has created a new award for outstanding CSUN graduates who have completed degree study with academic distinction after a gap of 10 years or more in their education. Students in this category may be returning to CSUN to advance or redirect their career, achieve a personal educational goal/passion, and/or to find a new way to make a positive contribution to the community.
The annual award would honor a maximum of
- One CSUN student completing a CSUN baccalaureate degree
- One CSUN student completing a CSUN teaching credential, or degree leading to a career in K-12, and
- Two CSUN students completing a CSUN master’s degree or doctoral degree
who will earn their degrees/credentials with academic excellence and distinction.
- Must be graduating from a CSUN degree program (whether state-funded or self-support) or CSUN teaching credential in Spring Semester of 2021 or the Summer Term of 2021 and have an official Spring or Summer graduation date on file.
- Have a gap of 10 years or greater between beginning and finishing the baccalaureate degree or between completion of the baccalaureate degree and enrollment in a graduate degree program or credential program.
- Show evidence of exceptional academic achievement at CSUN:
Such evidence of academic achievement must include a high CSUN grade point average (GPA):
- A minimum CSUN GPA of 3.5 or higher for undergraduate students
- A minimum CSUN GPA of 3.8 or higher for graduate (master’s or doctorate) and teaching credential students
- Must be enrolled in 3 units or more for each term of the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 academic year.
- Scholarship opportunity is open to all students including those in EXL programs.
Other evidence of academic achievement includes but is not limited to publications, conference presentations, awards/recognitions for academic projects, leadership among CSUN students, and/or significant field-related projects in the community.
- Request (1) academic letter of recommendation via my Matador Scholarships
- Request (1) additional letter of recommendation via my Matador Scholarships (can be academic or non-academic – supervisor, coach, volunteer coordinator, etc.)
- Submit an up-to-date resume/CV
- Submit a Personal Statement that addresses the following two questions:
1. Describe your educational and career path leading to your current completion of the degree or credential at CSUN. How long have you been out of school and what was your motivation for returning?
2. What are your career and educational plans going forward after graduation?
Please contact Karen Pak at email@example.com should you have questions regarding this scholarship opportunity.