Graduate Fellowships for Outstanding Research Promise in Science and Mathematics
The College of Science and Mathematics, in conjunction with the Office of the Provost, has established the Graduate Fellowships for Outstanding Research Promise in Science and Mathematics. Four fellowships of $5000 will be awarded each year. These fellowships are given to enhance the research experience of graduate students who show outstanding promise for creative and productive careers in research.
Award Amount $5000.00
- Applicants must be continuing CSUN students enrolled in a CSUN Master’s graduate program within the College of Science and Mathematics for the Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 terms.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of one semester of their graduate program at CSUN.
- Graduate CSUN GPA must be greater than or equal to 3.50.
- Applicants must enroll in 4 units or more for each term of the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Applicants must upload an Educational Resume/Curriculum Vita.
- Applicants must upload an Unofficial transcript of all graduate coursework taken at CSUN.
- Recipients agree to submit a research project proposal. Click here to view detailed guidelines.
- Two required letters of recommendation must be requested via the my Matador Scholarships portal that address the research qualities and abilities of the applicant following the LoR guidelinee. Click here to view detailed LoR guidelines.
One letter requested from applicants MS thesis advisor.
One letter requested from a CSUN faculty member, a committee member or faculty mentor from another institution, or a professional scientist or mathematician who can address the applicant’s promise in research.
- Applicants should provide reference providers with all other elements of their application to help them write the strongest and most specific letters possible.
1. Conditionally classified recipients who have not achieved classified status by the start of fall term of the year of the award will NOT be eligible to receive the award. 2. Recipients must be officially enrolled as a student of California State University, Northridge during each semester of the academic year in which funds are allocated and must be registered and eligible to receive Financial Aid (i.e., FAFSA or California Dream Act Application on file). 3. Awards will be divided into two disbursements of $2500 each, one for fall 2020 term and one for the spring 2021 term. To receive the spring disbursement, the student must maintain a GPA of 3.50 in the major and submit a one-page progress report (<1000 words), co-signed by the research advisor, to the Associate Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics no later than the second Friday in January of the award year. 4. In accepting the fellowship, recipients agree to give an oral presentation of their results at the annual CSUNPosium (formerly the Student Research and Creative Works Symposium), which is held each spring semester and is organized by the Office of Research and Graduate Studies. This should be verified in the one-page progress report. 5. Awards are for one academic year only and are not renewable.
Please note: If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed explanation about your individual situation.
*Please contact Sonia Martinez at email@example.com should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity.
College of Science and Mathematics
California State University-Northridge