Donald E. Bianchi Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award
(2019-2020 Academic Year Award) Fall 2019 graduates are welcome to apply. The Donald E. Bianchi Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award was created to support an undergraduate student who demonstrates a particular interest in and dedication to science, academic excellence and has financial need.
*Applicants from any department in the College of Science and Math are eligible to apply.
The award is named for Donald E. Bianchi, the founding Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics. It honors his commitment to scholarship and research and their relationship to education.
Dr. Bianchi joined the CSUN faculty in 1959 when CSUN was known as the San Fernando Valley State College. He became Dean in 1973, a position he held for 28 years, two of which while he was also serving as Vice President for Academic Affairs. As College Dean, he was nstrumental in the creation of the four-building science complex and Planetarium, subsequently named in his honor, laying the groundwork for the College’s outstanding achievements in research and teaching. His own professional accomplishments included the publication of numerous articles and books in cell biology, microbiology and botany. He had long served on the governing boards of two CSU Consortiums—Ocean Studies and Desert Studies—and had chaired both. A model of dedication and service to the University and its students.
- Must be an undergraduate student enrolled at CSUN for any part of the 2019-2020 academic year.
- If recently graduated you must have enrolled in 6 units or more for the Fall 2019 term.
- Continuing students must enroll in 6 units or more for the Spring 2020 term.
- Must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 3.2
- Must show significant academic accomplishments as well as demonstrated financial need.
- Must have a current FAFSA or California Dream Act Application on file.
- Must upload a copy of unofficial CSUN transcripts.
- Must request 1 letter of recommendation from CSUN faculty member, highlighting applicant’s academic accomplishments. .
- Opportunity is open to students from any department in the College of Science and Mathematics*
Note: If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
*If selected as the scholarship recipient, I agree to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) and be willing to meet with the donor(s) or designee(s).
*Please contact Sonia Martinez at email@example.com should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity.