Leslie and Terry Cutler Scholarship
(Spring 2020 Award) The Leslie and Terry Cutler Scholarship was created to support two continuing students (graduate or undergraduate) showing “promise,” with demonstrated financial need.
This scholarship is named after the donors, Les and Terry Cutler. Leslie Cutler, D.D.S., Ph.D., is retired Chancellor and Provost for Health Affairs at the University of Connecticut Health Center, and President of its Health System. He earned his D.D.S at Washington University School of Dental Medicine in St. Louis, MO in 1968 and his Ph.D. in
Experimental Pathology at State University of New York at Buffalo in 1973. Les also earned an M.A. in Management through the Executive Program of The Hartford Graduate Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Hartford, CT and later he enrolled in the Entrepreneurship Development Program at The Sloan School of Management in Cambridge. He taught courses at UConn’s dental and medical schools as well. Les attended CSUN for only a year, from 1963 to 1964, but it made big impact on him. At the time, he was enrolled in the College of Education studying elementary education and played football. After leaving CSUN he went to UCLA. -Terry spent 17 years at the prestigious, all-boys boarding school Avon Old Farms in Avon, CT. She graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in education and started by teaching European and U.S. history. She soon became Associate Director of Admissions and then Director. Terry believes strongly in diversity and actively recruited underrepresented minority students, ultimately transforming the school into a vibrant, multicultural learning environment. -Les and Terry have two sons and grandchildren, and reside in West Tisbury on Martha’s Vineyard. They fund three endowed scholarships in the College of Health and Human Development and one in the College of Science and Mathematics.
- Open to CSUN undergraduate and graduate students from any department in the College of Science and Math.
- Must be continuing students, i.e., graduating no sooner than one academic year following receipt of the award, inclusive of the semester awarded.
- Must show “promise,” which can be demonstrated as academic achievements including research, honors, awards, etc.
- Must submit a Personal Statement that discusses the applicants background, academic major, significant experiences at CSUN, and future professional goals.
- Have a current FAFSA or California Dream Act Application on file.
- Must upload a copy of unofficial CSUN transcripts.
- Must upload a copy of current curriculum vitae/educational resume.
- Must request 2 letters of recommendation via the myMatador Scholarships portal. (At least 1 letter must be from a CSUN Faculty Member).
Opportunity is open to students from any department in the College of Science and Mathematics
Note: If you are receiving financial aid (including loans), your financial aid award may be adjusted if you receive this scholarship. Please speak to a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours to get a detailed overview about your individual situation.
*Please contact Sonia Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity.