MSP Sergeant Gabriel Chavez Scholarship Fund
Gabriel Chavez moved to the United States from Mexico at the age of 9. He is the first in his family to join the United States Marine Corps earning rank of Sergeant and the first to graduate from college out of his five brothers and five sisters. He first attended Los Angeles Mission College and transferred to the University to study Radiologic Sciences earning his degree in 2014. As a student, he was president of the Radiologic Sciences Student Association. In addition to his involvement in school activities, he received various scholarships and received the honor of the Mike Mahony Marine Corps Veterans Scholarship in 2013 and the Outstanding Veteran Award in 2015. Sergeant Chavez currently works as a Radiation Protection Specialist within the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health in the area of Environmental Health Radiation Management.
The Sergeant Gabriel Chavez Scholarship Fund will provide an annual scholarship award for a CSUN student veteran with a record of active duty within any branch of the United States military. Students must display Scholastic Achievement, and demonstrated involvement in community service.
Please note: Any change to your enrollment status resulting in less than full time enrollment for any term within the award year will result in a cancellation of your award.
- Undergraduate students must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 2.50.
- Graduate students must have a GPA greater than or equal to a 2.50.
- Must have a FAFSA or California Dream Act application on file for the upcoming academic year.
- Undergraduate students must enroll in 12 units or more during the Fall & Spring terms of the award year.
- Graduate students students must enroll in 6 units or more during the Fall & Spring terms of the award year.
- Must request (2) letters of recommendation via the my Matador Scholarship portal.
- Must demonstrate scholastic achievement, exceptional leadership and participation in community service.
- Must be a student veteran.
- Must upload a copy of your student resume. A student resume is a detailed record of your personal and educational information. It includes the name of your school/college, coursework, projects (if any) undertaken, and awards. The resume may also contain additional information like your extracurricular activities, volunteer experiences, job experiences (if any), hobbies, etc.